Speaker: Pastor Everett Spence
Sermon Title: “Five Fingers of Prayer”
Main Text: Ephesians 6:10-20
- Knowing How to Pray
- Prayer is the strategy for facing (and overcoming) all challenges we face in life.
- Prayer is not a formula, but God has provided us with an illustration of how to pray.
- Your hand and 5 fingers can serve as a reminder of how to pray and what to pray.
- We enter His gates with thanksgiving in our hearts.
— Thank God for what He has done.
- We enter His courts with praise.
— Praise God for Who He is.
- We spend time in confession.
— Acknowledge and repent of actions, thoughts, or words that are contrary to God’s divine law.
- We spend time in intercession.
— Intercede to God on behalf of others..
- We spend time in petition.
— Humbly pray for yourself, submitting yourself to God’s all-knowing authority.
- MOST IMPORTANTLY, TRUST your Heavenly Father, knowing He knows everything you need before you even communicate your needs to Him.
Bible References Used:
Thanksgiving – Psalm 100:4; Psalm 50:14; Psalm 69:30; Psalm 95:2; Ephesians 5:20; 2 Thessalonians 5:17-18
Praise – Psalm 63:3-4; Psalm 67:3; Psalm 146:1-2; Hebrews 13:15; I Peter 2:9
Confession – I Samuel 15:24; Proverbs 28:13; Matthew 7:3; Luke 15:18; I John 1:9
Intercession (Praying for Others) – Exodus 32:32; Deuteronomy 9:24-25; Ephesians 6:18
Petition (Praying for Yourself) – I Samuel 1:10-11, 27; Luke 11:9-10; James 5:13; Matthew 6:8